Work at CCDH
The Center for Countering Digital Hate is a growing organization with offices in Washington DC and London. What makes us different is that we use cutting-edge research to counter the spread of digital hate and misinformation that has real, offline consequences. Our work is acclaimed by policymakers and civil society globally. We are setting the agenda for what is going wrong and how to fix digital spaces.
Our teams work collaboratively and creatively across a range of different topic areas, from the anti-vaxx movement to virtual reality.
We value integrity, tenacity and people who want to make a social impact with their work. To promote this ethos, we invest in our staff:
- Flexible working, with the option to work from our office in London – or Washington DC if the role is US-based
- Individual staff training budgets to improve their skills
- Lots of opportunities for career development and learning
We want to hear from applicants from all backgrounds, and especially welcome applications from people of color, the LGBTQIA+ community, women, and people with disabilities. We’re committed to a belief that the more our work is created by people from a variety of backgrounds, and with a range of life experiences, the better it will be.
We have one open vacancy.
Press Officer (US)
We are looking for a Press Officer who will focus on our work with the US media, to work within our team of public relations experts.
Please note that the successful candidate must have permission to work in the US by the start of their employment.
What can you expect from this role?
- The opportunity to work in one of the busiest, most impactful and news-making press operations in the campaign sector – contributing to thousands of media appearances each year
- Access to some of the country’s most high-profile and influential journalists across national and regional media, as our first point of contact with US media
- The role will primarily focus on print and online media, but there is plenty of scope to also work on projects for TV, radio, podcasts, documentaries, in-house productions and more
- Flexible working, and the opportunity to attend in-person interviews and press events
Responsibilities include – but are not limited to:
- Acting as a spokesperson for the organization
- Helping to set out strategic vision for creative and imaginative campaigns
- Drafting statements, interview briefings, opinion articles, press releases, pitches, blogs and more
- Working closely with journalists on incoming media requests and reactive news moments
- Sustaining and building on CCDH’s excellent relationships with key journalists
- Identifying opportunities for CCDH to maximize its presence in the press
- Working closely with colleagues in the Research, Policy & Partnerships, and Fundraising departments on cross-team projects
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- A positive attitude and proactive approach to work
- Team building skills to contribute to a strong working culture
- Good knowledge and awareness of the media landscape
- Track record of securing high-profile press hits
- Interesting and engaging written style in a range of different formats (e.g. for news, blogs and opinion)
- Imaginative approach to public relations
- Competent and confident manner when interacting with journalists and media figures
- Experience in writing op-eds
- $70,000-$80,000 USD Per annum
- 20 days’ holiday plus US public bank holidays
- Flexible working options: working from home, compressed hours, flextime
- Mental Health Support on Spill
- Sick leave and Pay
This is a hybrid position based at least two days a week in our Washington D.C. office. Occasional travel will be required for meetings and events.
We work with a strong sense of purpose to deliver real-world impact high-quality policy advice in a fun, supportive environment that values everyone’s contributions. We are proud of the collaboration that occurs across teams and the culture we’ve created.
Our work will be at its best if people with various backgrounds and experiences create it. We are keen to interview people who will add diversity to our team.
CCDH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage our colleagues to follow and champion our five core company values; Trust, Openness, Respect, Accountability, and Teamwork and we embed these values in our work.
At CCDH we encourage people to be involved in activities outside of their typical role, such as evolving the company website, planning social activities, establishing marketing opportunities, or supporting team training. CCDH has a training focus and is committed to your personal development. We offer both internal and external training and team building.